Friday, August 18, 2017

Breaking it Down- 5e Classes as Races and Using Self Contained Skills

      This is hopefully the first of many episodes(?) of breaking it down. This is where I take the rules we all love or hate, and break them down into something new(or old, depending on where you're coming from). I'm coming from the position of a Dungeon Master, where the player characters feel extremely powerful early on. It seems that in 5e, you begin at a heroic starting point. This, I don't like. I aim to change this. I've already broken down a few systems to where I like them, most notably is the xp system and character creation. I feel I should take character creation one step further. Although, I feel it may be suicide in the gaming community. But, I'll be glad to die a martyr preaching change. Let's begin...

     I'm really wanting to make character creation similar to an old school game. I haven't tested this yet. I'm just playing around with some of the rules. Mind you, I'm doing this strictly from a hex crawlers stance where I've had MANY players bitch about me killing their characters that "they put a lot of thought into." I don't want to deter players away from making characters they care about; however, I want to change the dynamic of character creation for 5e where it's not as painful for a character loss. This is all while still leaning on most of the same mechanics from 5e, and borrowing some from Lamentations, and in the future other retroclones. This should make character creation not only faster, but easier. For now, I'm focusing on the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Dwarf, Halfing, and Elf as classes. The first four are human, and the rest are demi-human. 

Changes

  • Nobody has darkvision. To me, 5e gave that stuff out way too much. So, I'm going on the opposite end of the spectrum. What this does, is make torches really important. 
  • Nobody gets cantrips. Other than that, treat spell progression as normal. 
  • Ignore any bonuses to proficiencies from classes other than what's noted here. 
  • No Multiclassing.
  • Skills are using the d6 system, and the rogue is the only one who can get better at them. Again, this has to do with the roles. 
     I don't really care too much about balance during combat. I feel the ingenuity of the players will be what gets their characters through most situations. Nothing is going to be fair. Just not how I do things. I care only that each class serves a specific role. If you don't have a rogue, have fun picking that lock or disarming that trap. If you don't have a wizard, have fun nuking that group of baddies coming your way... You get the point.

Character Creation

  1. 3d6 down the line, dropping the lowest. Switch one pair of abilities if you want.
  2. Pick a class. Max starting HP.  
  3. Roll gold Gold is 3d6 x10.
  4. Buy Equipment.


The Fighter
You begin play as normal, but only gain levels as the Battlemaster once you reach level 3. You gain +4 hp after 10th, continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Rogue
You begin play as normal, but only gain levels as the thief once you reach level 3. Furthermore, you begin with 4 skill points to put in any skill you choose. You gain 2 more skill points each time you level up. You stop progressing at skills at level 10. Skills are as follows: search, stealth, sneak attack*, lore, pick lock, survival, sleight of hand, and climb. You gain +2 hp after 10th, no longer continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Cleric
You begin with a 2 in 6 chance in lore involving the supernatural. Increase to lore is 3 in 6 at 5th, 4 in 6 at 10th, and 5 in 6 at 15th. You gain +3 hp after 10th, no longer continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Wizard
Your HD is 1d4(2+con). Wizards begin play with a +3 in lore. Increase to lore is 3 in 6 at 5th, 4 in 6 at 10th, and 5 in 6 at 15th. You gain 1hp after 10th, no longer continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Dwarf
Your HD is 1d8(6 + con) and level as a champion. You gain advantage vs being poisoned and begin play with a 2 in 6 lore regarding architecture. Increases to lore is 3 in 6 at 5th, 4 in 6 at 10th, and 5 in 6 at 15th. You gain +5 hp after 10th, continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Elf
Your HD is 1d6(5 + con). You begin play as a fighter, but gains levels as an Eldritch Knight once you reach level 3. You also have advantage vs being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep. Furthermore, you have a 3 in 6 chance in search. You gain +4 hp after 10th, no longer continuing to use your Con modifier.

The Halfling
You begin play as a rogue, and you only gain levels as the Scout archetype when you reach 3rd level. Furthermore, you have a 3 in 6 chance in stealth and survival in the wilderness. You have advantage on saving throws vs being frightened and feared. You gain +2 hp after 10th, no longer continuing to use your Con modifier.

Dying
I don't like death saves, but I'm meeting the players in the middle with this. Once you're downed, make a constitution save. Add in any bonuses or penalties beating 8 + the damage sustained. If you pass, you're stable. If you fail, you die. If someone hits you while you're unconscious, before or after the save, it's an auto kill. If you take more than double your HP in damage in one hit, you're dead.

Skills:
Everyone has a 1 in 6 chance to succeed in any given skill, that is a 1 on a d6. Rogues are the only ones that can increase skills where it's easier for them to succeed. Skills are as follows: search, stealth, sneak attack*, lore, pick lock, survival, sleight of hand, and climb.
*Sneak attack counts as a multiplier. 2 points in sneak attack is x2 damage, 3 is x3, and so on.... to successfully use sneak attack, you must attack from a hidden place, or from behind.

2 comments:

  1. Like what you are doing here! My players all got a bit upset when I started changing up 5E too much, honestly it's great at what it does so I understand.

    Ended up switch over to The Black Hack, and I haven't look back. Very effective for new players and by adding in classes with a bit more depth, players are entertained.

    Wish you the best of luck with the blog! I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely let them know what changes I make before I execute it. I want them to have as much fun as I do.

      I'm gonna switch my game over to lamentations pretty soon probably.

      I hope you do!

      Delete